Most of us consider the weight of what we are wearing, but only count what is on our back - mostly works, if you don't cheat (i.e. say you're wearing all your insulating layer while hiking when of course you'll probably strip it off and carry it)

So when "comparing" weights, we usually compare base weights, i.e. the weight of the backpack in it, with everything in it, *except* food and water and fuel (i.e. the consumables) - this gives us something to compare that doesn't vary as much by trip.

You then of course need to consider that you'll be adding in food and fuel (for me this is about 2.5->3 kg for 5 days) and water - which will vary a lot depending on where you are. Where I hike water is fairly frequent, so I will typically only carry 1 to 1.5 litres - unless I'm gonna be on a long waterless stretch and I'll take more then.. water weighs a kilo per litre..

Now that doesn't mean we don't *consider* what we are wearing, many of us use trailrunners instead of heavier boots when the conditions warrant, some even sandals.

Have a look at a couple of the lists on the parent site of this board, and a few from some of us and you'll get the idea.
Browse my pictures