Originally Posted By Heather-ak
We are considering adding an Ursack to our camping supplies because we don't have to have a bearcanister here - However, their main bag isn't rodent/raven/rabbit proof and their "rodent" bag a bear could break open...

I know people here don't hang the Ursack (not easy to hang here) and just connect it to a rock. I'm going to have to go check out Phat's site and what he does.

Speaking of Phat, he hasn't been online lately! (I think he's starting his own business and very busy - but not a good excuse!)

I normally tie the ursack to a stout tree wherever possible as per the manufacturers instructions. I have never had a problem with it with either rodents or bears - although I know it's technicaly not supposed to be rodent-proof

In the very high alpine, no trees, "tying the ursack to a rock" normally doesn't work. -I've done it, but tying it to a rock usually means the rock is too small and would walk off with the sack. Typically if I am up very high I do one of two things, after ensuring that the ursack is securely tied shut

1) pile it in a big cairn of rocks away from my camp, often in between or using a crevice in large rocks to begin with.
2) use a rock nut (mountaineering thing) to get a wire loop securely in a crack - tie the ursack to the wire on the rock nut securely.

I do 1) more than 2) - I don't always have a rock nut, or a suitable place to anchor one.

Browse my pictures