First, I DO NOT like candy so no Snickers for me. Even regular trail bars are too sweet for my taste. I prefer a bag of nuts, dried fruit, jerkey and cheese sticks. I take 80% cocoa choclolate and have one square a night! It is really a little taste treat and reward.

I have never thru-hiked. I do long trips where I actually STAY in the mountains for up to 35 days, with one or two packer resupplies. This actually is different than thru-hiking. My long trips are usually 70%+ off trail so going is slow- averaging about 6 miles a day. I am not sure I would like thru-hiking. The stops in civilization would be disorienting and I really do not like being on trails that much. When I am out long, I too, do not want to come back! I have no trouble getting up each day and moving. In fact I do not do "rest days" - they drive me nuts. I would rather take mini-rests at the end of each day instead of one entire rest day. My preference is, like OM, to move early AM until about 2-3 in the afternoon, then explore without that pack on my back! The only time I do not like to hike is in the rain.

My trip this summer is 35-37 days (have yet to decide exact route) and I have figured out and already packed my food (except perishables) and layed out gear. I will be carrying about 11 days food each leg of the trip. My total starting weight is about 38-40 pounds, 5 pounds of clothes/shoes/trekking poles, leaving 33-35 pounds on my back as starting weight. By "base weight" is 19-20 pounds. That includes minimal fly fishing gear. On one section I am using a bear cannister so that adds 1.5 pounds over the Ursack, that I am using on the other two legs. So- I too suggest that your 70 pound pack is WAY TOO HEAVY!!!

Both thru-hiking and the long trip hiking I do is more mental than physical. You really have to LIKE being out there and REALLY NOT miss civilization. I really pay attention to keeping clean - comb hair, brush teeth and take a cold bath every day. I wash clothes too. I could never become a total slob and get dirty and yukky. It is a whole different feeling when you LIVE in the wilderness, not holding your breath waiting to get back to "eat that meal" or "take that shower" or "sleep in that bed".