There's the two stove approach - make a Simmercat and a Supercat, boil on one and simmer on the other - or the adjustable stove.

Mini Bull Designs used to have the Black Fly - a stove that weighed the same as a Giga (three ounces) with adjustable height wicks and a base you filled with water to keep the alcohol cooler while you were operating the stove. Has built in pot supports. You could set it on high (more wick) to boil water, blow it out, reset it to simmer, and make anything you want. Tinny has since moved on to making remote canister clones (alcohol version) and stopped making stoves like that. It wasn't a pop can stove.

The Featherfire is at packafeather.com. I haven't used it much, since I am primarily a boiling-water type "cook" these days. The stove isn't the most durable thing ever but when I've taken it, wrapping it in a brawny towel prior to packing in the pot has done the trick. But it steam bakes near perfect muffins. You can snuff it with the lid and recover unused fuel.

http://hikeandbackpack.com