Originally Posted By sandia

MSR's history with stoves over past 30 years makes it the only choice in my mind for canister or gasoline stoves.

Gasoline is a pain, slightly dangerous, etc., and not all that light in weight.

Alcohol is GREAT for boiling a little water for a little cooking for one or two people. This person doesn't want that....That's my view.

My EXPERIENCE is the exact opposite of this. MSR can't seem to get stoves exactly right - some are okay, the Reactor was actually redesigned after it was panned by backpackinglight.com for giving off dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. The original pocket rocket was prone to the pot supports loosening and warping in the heat of the stove to the point that the pot wobbled dangerously. I got rid of mine after trying everything to keep the wind from blowing it out. (I don't try to cook in high winds. I'm talking about breezes.)

I've fried eggs over alcohol stoves, baked muffins, boiled pasta, and pretty much anything else - the Featherfire stove has an adjusting knob and simmers for 40 minutes on less than an ounce of fuel.

As usual, I think I am on a different planet than sandia.

http://hikeandbackpack.com