I picked up a lightly used MSR Dragonfly last Fall on eBay. I am very impressed with its ability to simmer for a long time, unattended. Sounds like you have experience getting out, so it should be no issue other than unfolding a DF from its packed configuration. A remote canister stove may be great also, MSR has the Windpro II now. Also remember, canister fuel is much more expensive than white gas, it is just convenient. I'd get more cooking time under my belt before trying a alcohol stove, they seem to need more attention to key elements. Maybe use one as a novelty until you get things right. With that said, Trail Designs Caldera Cone system which is designed around many pot specific sizes is real easy to use with denatured alcohol for just boiling water. Some small canister stoves to consider are the Snow Peak Giga Power, MSR Micro Rocket, Coleman Exponent F1 which has about 20% more btu's than the others, but discontinued. They come up on eBay. I was given a very used one and have been impressed with its heat output. Just not the Coleman quality of old.
Duane