IMHO, each person on the trip should have their own "Ten" Essentials for the reason that Lori stated above. That includes a map and compass.

Re the floss--actually, the dentists will be gleefully rubbing their hands together in anticipation of the expensive restorative dentistry or gum disease treatment you'll need 10-15 years down the road! (Sorry if I'm offending any dentists here.)

It is really hard to get a gear spreadsheet posted in most forums, which is why I haven't done so. I tried once (on another forum), converting the spreadsheet to a text file first, but the results were almost unintelligible!

If you have the typical redhead complexion, you definitely need long sleeves, long pants and a really wide-brimmed hat. Maybe gloves (although they are hot!) or some kind of sunshade on the backs of your hands, too. Just sunscreen won't do the job at high altitude. Of course you'll still need sunscreen on your lower face where there's lots of reflection from light colored ground above timberline, or snow, or water. One of my daughters-in-law just had a good portion of her upper lip removed due to skin cancer, so I've gotten rather paranoid about sun protection! I always have found the long sleeves, long pants and big hat to be cooler than having the sun shine directly on my skin. Having the hiking shirt and pants a bit on the loose side (for ventilation) helps.

I don't worry about rinsing my water bottles (using filtered water, obviously) unless I've used drink mix inside. In that case, I do rinse out the bottle after each use. I don't think you need to worry.

EDIT, later: You don't have to fill the bottle you're rinsing out; just put in a little water, close the bottle and shake it well, dump the water (a long way from camp or water sources), repeat once, dribble a tiny bit of water over the outside threads and the cap, and you're good to go. Maybe a cup of water for the whole operation.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/08/12 03:36 PM)