Daryl, thanks for your interest. I don't really have too much to offer in the way of wisdom gained from the experience other than the next time something like this comes up I think I'll delegate. I was able to "get it back", or at least most of it--eventually. It was a lot more work than I expected.

What surprised me was how long it took to recoup even though I felt that I was working hard at recovery. For the first few months after the hit-and-run, I was mostly healing and doing physical therapy. That and getting over a lingering MRSA infection that I picked up in the emergency room. Then, I found that riding my bike was a lot scarier than it had been before the incident; I paid more attention to my rear view mirror than to things ahead of me. So I wasn't riding as long or as hard as I had. I am still kind of paranoid while riding but am either getting over it or getting used to the paranoia.

About 2 1/2 months after my accident, my wife was called for her double lung transplant. The surgery went extremely well and her donor lungs were an excellent match but, even then, she was in and out of the hospital for the next 2 1/2 months. A lung transplant is not simple surgery. She is doing exceptionally well with her donor lungs though. She was in her early 70's when she had the surgery and has recovered better than do most of the younger recipients. Usually the surgeons won't do a transplant on someone over 65 but she was unusually healthy for her age and for someone needing a transplant. During her recovery, I didn't have much opportunity to work out and wound up in fairly poor shape for the 2011 season.

This past winter I was able to develop and stick with a relatively aggressive aerobic/weight workout routine. It has helped a lot. I just finished a 4 day, 40 mile trip in the Rincon Mountains near Tucson and felt pretty strong. So, I guess I'm back about as far as I am going to get. I am planning on hiking the JMT next summer and have a fairly ambitious hiking schedule for this summer in the Sierra, Grand Canyon and Scotland.