The bag is for my grandson and he will be out with my daughter and husband mostly. A sleep sack is safe. There are no straps. I bought material today for making the outdoor sleep sack. It is totally an experiment - hope it works out. I will post a photo when I get it done (if it is not a total failure- my sewing skills are not the greatest). I have only invested $30 in the bag so it is not a great loss if a failure.

The reason I do not like to have a long bag for a small kid is that someone else (Mom, Dad or me) would have to carry all the extra weight and bulk. My daughter loves sleep sacks; she kept her older son in one until he was four. It is the "symbol" for "bedtime". I only considered the regular sleeping bag when I saw that the toddler "Woobie" was on sale, but it is only 44 inches long. OK for now but would be outgrown in a year. When the boys get to be 6-8 then we will invest in higher quality youth bags for them. For now we have no intention of taking them into any really cold weather- just summer mid-elevation and coastal camping. I bought the older boy a Eureka bag two years ago and cut a foot off the footbox and re-sewed it. But, I figured that making one from scratch is not much more work.