Over time, probably, the stuff will become a commodity like incandescent light bulbs had been considered. Really, it already has (see Home Depot & etc.)

Unless and until another great leap forward is achieved, which an electrical engineer acquaintance of mine opines, won't happen very soon.

Let us hope headlamps will soon reach their ultimate final state, which will be cheapness, brightness, light weight and environmentally neutral (or perhaps beneficial). They have some way to go.

I have owned at least a half dozen over past 35 years and none were optimal. Am liking them better. But I have not and do not own any that I absolutely like.

My favorite was JustRite from late 1970s with four D-cells. Very, VERY bright and very VERY heavy.

I've probably killed several babies as result of landfilling various of these batteries.

I relied on this during two-month bicycle-camping trip and many short hikes.

Imagined it would frighten criminals from my many questionable and often urban camps & also drunken drivers in lieu of bike helmet.
It definitely illuminated many classic novels & thick darkness of lonesome nights in Canada Maritimes. Also shot light its DEEP into many forests for navigation.

The three LED lamps I've used are very, very good. But these models are less bright and have mostly broken down for one reason or another and to one extent or another.