Of course it has to be another shot in the war smile

A couple weekends ago we were on an old trail that did S turns across a creek instead of going higher on the drainage. In 2 miles there were about 27 crossings for a total of about 54 round trip. After about 10 we gave up finding stepping stones and just started walking through them.

My son had a pair of Merril shoes on and his shoes, socks and feet were wet the whole time. I was wearing my combat boots and my socks never got wet. Only a few of the crossings were above the top of the boot. Since it's laced tightly around the top, I didn't notice any water coming in.

This past weekend we hiked in sloppy snow for a couple miles before it melted. Again, my son's shoes and socks were wet and mine were dry.

I think the situation should be considered. If I were hiking the AT, I'd have to consider multiple day rains and muddy trails. We seldom get that in Colorado. Creek crossings are usually pretty easy.

This year, I found a new kind of sock. The Fox River Liner Stay Dry

They were recommended to my by a guy who hikes a LOT and has done the AT. They are polyester. He has never gotten a blister in them and they wear real well. They dry very quickly.

The only problem is they are thin, so the shoes can be about a half size smaller. For $4.39, they are worth a try.

Personally, I wouldn't carry an extra pair of shoes for stream crossings, nor would I take them off. I have a fish hook and glass fear.

Perhaps we can agree not all shoes are the same and not all boots are the same.

We both agree stream crossings are more dangerous than people think.