As I mentioned on another thread, every time a rescue story hits the local (Portland, OR) media, they are deluged with the following two comments, sounding like a broken record: (1) The rescued person should have taken a GPS to call SAR (never mind that GPS units do not have a communication feature!) and (2) the rescued person should pay for rescue (never mind that nearly all of SAR is volunteer and that SAR organizations are strongly opposed to charging for rescue because people will avoid asking for help to avoid the expense).

This free BPL article about two experienced hikers traveling a familiar trail, enjoying the beautiful fall day and conversation with each other, should be a lesson for all of us! While it's really rather funny, under other circumstances it could have led to tragedy. Any of us could have done the same! (I think I've linked to that article before, but it fits in so well with your excellent writeup here that I'm citing it again!)

Then there's the often-quoted statement (altered a little by me): "All the world is wrong except me and thee, and sometimes I wonder about thee." Not a good attitude to have!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/10/12 12:17 PM)