I realize that putting numbers to the level of difficulty is a gross oversimplification (otherwise known as a load of "bull"). I was just thinking that starting with a simple system, one might be able to come up with something that would be helpful in a general sense. It is just you and a trail covered in snow; no creeks, no steep drop-offs, no snow-bridges. A very general guideline if you will. The thing is, once on trail, people need to use judgement and that is where problems start.

Quote:
Snow depth isn't the only factor. A big, big issue is how reliably firm the "underlying" surface is. If the snow supports you such that you're just sinking in an inch or so, but then every 10th step or so you abruptly sink in deep, it changes how you feel, how comfortably and just in general how you walk. I.e., beyond as you say "the stuff you stay on top of, and the stuff you sink into", there's a middle ground where "you stay on top mostly but unpredictably sink into sometimes".

Over all I agree with you, Brian. The "random" post holing, which I liken to walking on eggshells definitely wears on people. I've seen people mess their knees up doing it (hyperextended knees). You spend much more energy on balance than normal, mainly because your movements are not fluid like walking on normal ground. And I would also have to say that post holing to your knees or deeper slows me down tremendously and just going 100 feet can be quite exhausting.

When I stay on top of the snow, I tend to move pretty fast. I wear boots, however, so if need be I kick into to the slope to establish a good footing. And if I'm expecting icy conditions, I'll bring crampons.

I will say that this whole thing came to me this winter after my third trip to the snow. All 3 were in the southwest with "fluffy" conditions (lots of post holing). Up at Idyllwild (near Mt. San Jacinto), the conditions were quite icy in the am, yielding to soft and slushy later. But all 3 generally calf high with nothing deeper than the knee at the most.

Thanks for the discussion/feedback!