Smiley,

You already have some pretty good advice, but I'll add a couple of things specifically about the alcohol vs Esbit question.

I have used Esbit extensively (did a whole thru-hike with it). I've also used alcohol (three different stoves), as well as several gasoline and canister stoves over the years.

For long distance hiking, I now use Esbit exclusively. I do not notice the smell that much (maybe my smeller is going the way of my ears, eyes and teeth). But if you use it in the open and with a serious windscreen (mine is homemade from heavy duty aluminum foil) you shouldn't notice it a whole lot.

I have a little titanium folding stove that weighs only a few grams (less than an ounce). I find the speed about the same as two out of the three alcohol stoves I've used (the Trangia is a beautiful little thing and faster, but also quite a bit heavier). The Esbit is significantly better than the military issue tabs that I have used. It will boil my little pot with about 3/4 of a tab, leaving me some boiling time if I need it, or I save the remainder and use a couple for a cup of tea or soup for lunch sometimes. I collect them in a little Ziplock.
They do soot up your pan a bit, but I have no trouble rubbing it off.

There have been several attempts to gauge the lightest fuel over time, and at some point, I gather the alcohol would be a bit less total weight, but it was over a longer time frame than I would likely go without resupply.

Having said all this, I still take a canister stove on short family trips. They are the berries, luv 'em.

best, jcp