Originally Posted By Trailrunner
Since we're all from different parts of the country/world, hiking in different locales with thousands of different water sources, and since we're all willing to assume different levels of risk, it's really impossible to throw out any kind of blanket statement about water treatment. It's like arguing over which tent is best. Futile at best. If the OP had asked a question like "I'll be camping at XXX Lake this weekend and I was wondering if I need to treat my water", this discussion would be a little less like nailing Jello to the wall.

Excellent. Thanks. A number of opinions, thoughts, experiences, research, etc. have been used to "flesh-out" several approaches to water treatment. I think Trailrunner's comment here puts well the discussion into perspective. It seems not much more can be said and it's time to put it to rest.

By the way, what started out as a potential Light Gear Topic actually evolved - rather quickly - into a health and safety topic. Thus, I'm moving it to the appropriate forum.

thanks again,

packlite