Things I worry about most:

1. Might have to carry that newbie's gear for him. Generally only happens on group trips with the bigger meetup, where folks do not understand what they don't know about themselves and only sign up for "destination" trips, instead of just doing something short.

2. Dehydration. Well, I don't worry about it a lot anymore. But it's probably the last thing I want to have happen to myself. Trip planning and getting updated info on water sources in areas where that can be tricky do away with most of the concern.

3. Stupid little granite pebbles. They hide on granite slab. Barked up my hand when I stepped on one on a slight sloping slab, had an itchy scab there for days after. Could have meant a fracture or something if it'd been steeper. Really, this is a category - clumsy things that could lead to injury that might keep me from hiking out. Leaving a trip plan with someone and having people with me are the just-in-case with a heaping helping of "watch where I step" to do the job.

4. Some nights I sleep like a baby - some nights I just can't. So I have a few mp3 meditation and relaxation tracks on my phone. Comes in handy when you are surrounded by snoring and need to block it out.

5. I keep getting these really annoying holes in my nylon pants. I finally popped for some 5.11 taclites for my leisure backpacking - they should handle sitting on granite with less wear.

hmmmm.... getting harder....

6. Some trips I worry a little about my car, because there was glass at the trailhead. Nothing's happened yet. I keep the car pretty clean.

7. Sometimes I think I might be in danger of hiking too much. Then I come to my senses.

8. There's this guy in the group... well. I just don't hike with him, so now I'm just adding things for the sake of getting to ten.

9. Hangnails.

10. I stepped on a rattlesnake once. All the others got off the trail when I asked them to, and so did the bears I met. When I came across the lion tracks I talked to the lion politely asking him to let me hike on without getting into it with him, and he stayed out of sight and I kept hiking - no harm, no foul. The scorpion I nearly squished didn't sting me before moving into the hole. One of the trout I caught once thrashed around and I got stuck by the hook. Then there was that really nasty infection from the tick bite... but it went away with antibiotics.

That's about it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com