It is true that unlined leather boots (or shoes) will dry faster than lined. It often is the lining that holds the moisture. This is also true for light hikers and trail running shoes. The more lining and padding, the slower to dry.

I think everyone's feet are so individual and unique that it is impossible to generalize about footware. I have a very skiny boney foot and need a shoe that really grabs my arch or my feet are not stable. Boots just do not do this. My first hiking boots (1965) were unlined leather Redwing smooth-soled high boots that I had a cobbler replace the sole with vibrum treads. I wore these with 2 pair of wool socks. Over the years I try to go back to boots, and it never works for me. I think fit is important, and you should use whatever fits with weight being a secondary factor. Between two shoes that fit well, I will choose the lightest, but FIT IS THE PRIMARY FACTOR. If this means replacing shoes every year, so be it. But you are correct, people may want to re-visit the boot/vs/shoe issue every so often as new shoes and boots become available.

My personal experience has been the opposite of yours - I certainly can go faster in low-cut hikers than in boots. The only place where I prefer boots is descending steep loose scree. Can do it with low hikers but I do have to place my feet more carefully. By the way, I wear gaiters with my low cut shoes to keep out the pebbles.