There are three kinds of gun people in my experience. Those who don't feel they need one, and do fine. Those who are trained and competent, yet don't let the arm become the center of their trip. And those that live in such paranoia (fear without reason) that they become owned by their weapons.
I had a highschool friend who was killed buy his father on a deer hunting trip. They were in a camper...friend opened the door to go out for a break, dad awoke from a bad dream and shot him with a deer rifle. Or at least that was his story. Was dad that impulsive at home? I doubt it.

I've hiked/camped with people...(only once) ;), that can't seem to keep their booger hooks of their guns, knives, etc., and spend the trip worrying about that critter or crazed maniac that would attack their one tent, out of 500 square miles.

Folks if you choose to be armed, please make sure your fears are rational, and for goodness sake get some training and stay trained. Use of any arm must be instinctive, or it's useless and dangerous. If you have to ask a "what kind of arms?" questions on an open camping/hiking forum, you aren't trained!! Not even close. Once trained, the question answers itself.