I just looked at more of our gear lists too! I will however, admit, that my eyes glazed over before I read much. I did find out that I do not carry all of the "14 essentials". Oh well. It is good start for beginners. Some people put a lot of effort in these. Thanks! The lists do seem a bit out-dated and, for me, a bit too specific and too comlpicated. For example, "water and filter"-I would rather it simply said "water purification" and then have a link to some more details about water purification.

Jim- I would not characterize it as "capture our imagination", rather that present it in a more reader-friendly manner, with the realization that today's young people have an exceptionally short attention span! (hey- I do too!) Perhaps make it interactive. For example, click on a location that you will backpack, and a basic list for that environment pops up! Then put links to details. Perhaps have a few photos or You-tube clip that shows the gear and shows you stuffing it into your pack! a picture is worth a thousand words.