I did not mean to imply that cost is never a factor and that prioritizing purchases is not a part of the whole deal. I was just pointing out the inconsistency for most folks. They spend willy nilly on some things which are overkill and then complain about spending a couple of dollars extra on some small thing like fuel. There are times when the expensive stuff is necessary and should be a priority. Stoves for the most part are not in that category for the weekend backpacker.

Actually I like the folks who spend willy nilly because almost all of my equipment comes from them when need more high end gear in this years model and sell last years model to someone like me.

Originally Posted By lori
You must be a stably employed person who worries not at all about each and every dollar you spend.

Some of us scrimp every single dollar to afford things like the high dollar down bag, because we must prioritize. The cost difference between a canister and the same amount of denatured alcohol may not be significant to you. That's fine, but it's not true of everyone.

I can get a can of Fancy Feast at the dollar store, feed it to the cat, and have a working stove after a minute with a hole punch - contrast that with spending eighty bucks for a canister stove and there's a huge difference.