I am always amazed at the passion generated by stoves. I started out with a Peak 1 and then a SVEA. The SVEA is probably the most dependable stove out there but heavy and has a rather steep learning curve. I then went to alcohol using first a Trangia and then a Brasslite. Both good durable stoves with very little chance of failure. Recently I have been using a canister stove mostly because I am getting old and just want things to be simple.

One thing that amazes me is the focus on time. I am out there to relax and the fact that it takes 15 minutes to make supper instead of 10 is of no consequence in a non threatening and relaxed outing. What are you going to do after supper that an extra 5 minutes is going to make a difference? I am also amazed at the emphasis on cost of fuel. Folks are going out with a $400 jacket and a $400 sleeping bag and they are worried about an extra $5 for fuel. If folks are going out for LONG trips and in dangerous condition then we have another situation but I am sure that the majority of folks here are going out for less than week in very benign conditions.