Originally Posted By Glenn
I've been toying for the last year or so with the idea of ditching the lighter gear and using the "old reliable" stuff again, even though it's heavier.

So, if you were in this situation, what would you do? I'm not looking for answers that bring additional variables, like different seasons or locales, or other planned activities, into the equation. Given that all other things are equal, is saving two pounds worth the additional fiddle factor? Is lighter always righter? How much weight are you willing to add for convenience?
For all that you apparently changed for only 2 pound gain I'd go back with your old stuff since YOU are clearly happier with it. I started at ~19 lbs and am now < 12, but I'm happy with my choices. I hope to get to 10 when I can fiddle with MYOG more.

I would agree with what BrianLe said above. Pitching in rain is a skill; filters will always fail at some point - use chemicals, which are also lighter; I haven't tried it yet, but several fill their inflatable by using their pack liner as an airbag; your pack sounds like it is a size too small.