I would guess that all of us have a closet full of gear of various vintages and weights. I can put together an UL outfit, a light one, or go retro. I mix and match everything. To be honest, sometimes I take the heavier item because it is so familiar- kind of like leaving an old friend if I do not take it. And I will also admit that sometimes I choose a slightly heavier piece of clothing because I like the color- it just makes me cheery. The only time I am not happy with myself is when I return from a trip and realize that I have not used many items. Then I know I have gone overboard. Once I took a book and never opened it. I was just too busy having fun.

It is a trade-off ALWAYS. Take the tent, comfy at night, curse it on the trail. Leave behind the Crocks, happy on the trail, curse myself when I have to cross a stream. Get too conservative on fuel, cry over no hot cocoa at night, but do not even think about it during the day. I honestly do better as a minimalist on very long trips because I adapt better to the minimalist lifestyle.

The hardest part for me is just to go! I am standing under my hot shower and think, OMG, I am going to jump into ice cold water for the next two weeks! One day on the trail, and it is no big deal.

At some point, though, you DO cross the line with respect to safety of just plain having enough to enjoy yourself. Two weeks in survival mode is not fun.