My own personal, and hopefully somewhat humorous stove journey.
Start by reading and learning from the web; alcohol sure seems to be a hit. I've got everclear, great I'll make a penny stove. It works, but what am I gonna do with that stupid penny to not loose it, and getting alcohol in and out is odd at best. So, what the hey, I get one of the Trangia stoves; it has a cap and O-ring. Thing works ok. Used it a couple times on solo "missions." I say works OK, not super great and tends to blow out a bunch before warming up. No, biggie, I'll live. Looking for something better still; Esbit seems to fit the bill. Yea right, I kept those damn esbits in a ziplok bag in my backpacking gear and the smell still made it's way through. Actually using that thing smells like working at a petro plant; without getting into that crudgy soot. Ok, back to alcohol.
Then, I sign up for a 3 day/2 night hike with a total of 23 people. Dinner time; everyone breaks out the food hardware. Two jetboils and all the rest are the little canister stoves. All but, one...me. I had brought the alcohol stove with me. I am there jacking with lighting, windscreening, re-lighting, windscreening, re-lighting, and finally heating up a little food. While I was there like a big doofus waiting and waiting for the water to get warm; most all other had cut off their stoves and were eating.
The next night, we had a more "together" campsite where everyone cooked in the same area while visiting and I watched them with those stoves. I am such a goober, or at least that is how I felt, oh, yea , and hungry.
I gave my esbit and esbit stove away, and the Trangia alcohol thingy didn't make it back with me either.
I just got in one of the Monatauk Gnat stoves. The stove and canister fit into my little optimus cookset perfectly. I'll give this a go.
Just sharing my futile experiences for those new to stoving and just for entertaining reading.