Quote:
It leaves me curious as to the experiences that lead you to that conclusion.

I have to conclude much the same thing as W_D. In my experience it has been newbies or someone who says they love to backpack, but really don't, and they don't have much experience either.

There is a very small group of Ozarkers that actually get out into the forests and backpack here. There is a large group that use trails and smaller parks and they enjoy nature in a more sanitized way. Then there are those that never get off pavement and you couldn't drag them into the forests.

There have been more than a few times I've added weight to my pack to accommodate potential issues I perceived while being part of a group. I've usually done this after urging someone to take more clothes, or water, or food, and they refused. They always insist, "No, I won't need it". I've handed it out as expected almost every time.

To be honest, this happened enough times that I started to get a bit resentful about carrying other peoples gear and mad at myself for not letting them suffer the consequences. I didn't like that attribute I found in myself, so it was a struggle.

When I backpack with backpackers I never have that problem. Sometimes we split gear, other times we pack the same as if it were a solo trip. Personally, I enjoy being with one or two backpackers more than solo, but I've found I enjoy solo more than a larger group, and that's how I've resolved that struggle, I go solo more now.

My wife doesn't backpack at all with me, but she loves to go floating and camping so we still get out together and whoop it up big when the water warms up enough to go swimming laugh

"You want to go where?"