Quote:
I do not see much teamwork in today's backpackers. When I go with others, it is NOT as two solo backpackers- we are a team. Meet-up groups are really too loosy-goosey for me. I still have an entrenched wilderness ethic that says you never leave a slow member behind, carry extra weight if that is what is required to get the group from point A to point B as a cohesive group, be a good follower, be a strong leader, compromise, create synergy, cover each other's back. I think we are a dying breed.

Teamwork is inherent in backpacking with a group. One of the first things I learned. How can it not be. You all bear responsibility for one another. It is not always easy to throw a bunch of strangers together and have an instant leader. But in the 2 meetups I joined, I thought everyone looked out for one another quite well. Everyone shared what they had if needed and stopped to wait for the slow ones. I have no problem being the leader, or the follower. But I will speak my mind if I think things are going wrong. I would content that even strangers in the Sierra Nevada that we have met on trail have looked out for others they do not know but have run into in their travels. Maybe I've just been lucky, but over the past five years I can't think of a single trip where people weren't looking out for each other and being helpful. I just don't see the dying breed part from my angle. I am careful as to who I go out with in general. Although, I admit I had no idea what I was getting into with the Meetup group.

It leaves me curious as to the experiences that lead you to that conclusion.