The point is that backpacking is not everyday life. I hike in the mountains at 10,000feet + and live at sea level. Everything on me, including what I am wearing, and any excess fat I carry on my body, has to be hauled uphill, at altitude. The lighter TOTAL weight, the easier this task becomes. Although I do not know if it is proven, the saying is that a pound on your feet need more energy to lift than a pound in your pack. I suppose it is because your foot moves around more then the center of gravity of your pack. The whole REASON to go lighter is to use less energy, thus you can either go farther, faster, or have more energy once in camp to do all the stuff you enjoy, like fishing. You do not go UL to impress others, it is all about expanding what you can do. Why? Well, say of you are going to do the PCT in one season, you have to make about 25 miles a day. Most humans have to really lighten up to be able to do that, day in and day out for several months. Much backpacking does not require UL. But some does.