Folks should be careful about "runtime" claims from lights that are unregulated because why the produce light for the "runtime", the light level is not necessarily useful. My experience is that inside the shelter 1lumen is enough, camp tasks typically want around 10 lumens, trail hiking 20 lumens, and when I am way finding I want at least 70 lumens, but more is better.

Rather than the surefire I would recommend people to check out the The iTP Light A3 EOS Upgrade Edition ( iTP A3 update review) , which is also $20 for a high efficiency AAA flashlight with good regulation and a nice range of brightness settings (1.5 for 50h, 18 for 4h, 80 for 55min) and weights less than 1oz WITH battery.

My favorite headlamp (I am with folks who love the handsfree) is the Zebralight H51. It's light 1.2oz (3.5oz with NiHM battery and headband) headlamp that runs on a single AA batteries. It has 6 light levels from with good quality regulation (lumens/time: 0.2/19 days, 2.5/3 days, 8/39h , 30/12h, 100/2h, 200/55min). I use the lowest setting for many camp chores. I bump up to 8 lumens for chores were I need to see accurate colors and hiking on established trails. I use higher settles for night hiking when not on an established trail. I like the beam in the original model: it has a hot spot with enough throw for way finding and enough spill to be useful for around the camp. The headband is comfortable and removable - ounce counters can use something lighter. The glow in the dark holder makes it easy to find at night. The only thing this light is missing is a battery life indicator.

Other thoughts on my recommended misc gear page