In December we went to Richland Creek in Arkanas. I told the 4 guys it's only about 5 miles but it's rough go light..yet it's going to be cold. 20 degrees.

Sunday morning at about 6:00 am I could hear them around the fire talking about how they were freezing all night. I slept like a baby... the difference was gear and experience.

3 in tents one in Hammock. I told the young man in the hammock he was going to freeze..he did. GRIN! He had his underquilt and pad from Hennesy.

I got out of my bag and put on my down snowmobile suit and went out and laid on the ground next to the fire...that extra 2 pounds paid off for a wonderful weekend. The rest of the guys are going for better lighter gear...

Bought some Crocs to replace my heavy choco's for river crossings. It's a work in progress. Lighter is always better unless of course it's not better. GRIN!

I have a Swedish Army Cook Kit. Weighs in at 2 lbs 5 ounces. Bomb proof... doesn't fall over. Works in the wind and cold and doesn't burn the food. My other 2 light weight stoves stay home.... because lighter isn't better in this case.

Ever heard of a Luxuary lite cot? Weighs 2 lbs and keeps you 1" off the ground.. in a over night all night rain..that extra 1 pound keeping you off the river flowing below your tent... prices.. I dont' bring it all the time.. Sometimes I do.

If I was going to go 4 weeks at a time.. I would hire a shirpa. GRIN! 8 backpacks a year with Royal Rangers (church boyscouts) over the past 22 years has given me some insight on how to enjoy going on the next trip. At 53 I no longer wonder what will work... I know. GRIN! Unless it's new..then I gotta try it. I enjoy Backpacking my way. Other's ways not so much!

Mark Jones