Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Make sure any human food your dog eats doesn't contain the following, which are toxic to dogs: onions, garlic, avocado, chocolate, grapes/raisins, mushrooms (even some edible for humans), sugar-free stuff containing Xylitol. Small amounts may be OK, but if repeated it can have effects on the dog's internal organs, especially liver and kidneys.

My dog has so many allergies that I absolutely will not feed him any people food. Too bad, because I still haven't quite gotten my dinners down to the amount I can actually eat, so I still have leftovers.

Watch out for fish (spawned out salmon or piles of fish guts) along streams, or fish that hasn't been thoroughly cooked. It can contain a parasite which contains bacteria that is especially deadly to dogs.

OM, very good info. Your daughter is a vet, right? I am also a vet! smile Some of those toxins actually can be fatal even in small amounts, such as xylitol and grapes (the grapes thing is not well characterized, as some dogs are not affected, and some dogs get kidney damage with just a few grapes).

I will second the point that some dogs will not adapt well to an abrupt change in diet. If your dog develops diarrhea, it can easily get dehydrated, as it is not reabsorbing that water from the large intestine. I feed my dog her regular food, maybe a little extra. Keep in mind that high-quality food is more calorie-dense, so you will not have to feed as much, therefore less bulk to pack...a good reason to switch from grocery store brands to higher quality food, so long as you do it gradually, not on the trail. wink If the hiking is really strenuous or it's super cold, your dog may need extra energy, in the form of fat, which can be achieved by feeding vegetable oils, which your dog may also take some time to adjust to.

..I wonder if you could dehydrate canned dog food... if that would save any weight over kibble for longer treks.