I generally will use my compass with my GPS. I have various way-points created within around 10 kilometer in different areas. Once I have decided where to go I will use my GPS to tell me how far away my mark is and also what bearing to take to get there. From that point on I will occasionaly re-check my GPS to see how far off I am straying from my target. If its thicker bush that I'm pushing or its tricky to navigate through I will keep my compass in my hands at all times constantly checking to make sure I'm in the right direction. Its just so easy to get turned around...

I live in British Columbia. The country that I hike through can be nice walking one minute and suddenly turn into nothing but piles of deadfall. I wouldn't go into the bush 100 yards if I didn't have my compass on me. My hunting and backpacking is almost all bushwhacking. I park my vehichle at the edge of a cut block and just punch into the bush on a rough bearing. To be honest with you thats almost all I know. I wonder what type of trails other people stick to if they don't need a compass. I've lost count of the times that I have sworn I was heading in the right direction only to have my compass tell me I'm off by 90degrees.

The bush can be a scary place. There is no way I'm going into it if I am not prepared.