Interesting responses to this. Generally when I tell or show people in person that they can print their own maps for free, they're pretty happy to hear that this is an option. Just goes to show that there are always different ways of looking at things.

Quote:
"I can match up the map to what I'm seeing, but if I'm really hosed up, I need to do sightings to landmarks and triangulate position. It is hard to do that if most of the other physical features are off the map."

Personally, if I'm "really hosed up", I'll use a GPS or walk until I get to some identifiable position, but what you're saying is correct of course. What I don't see me or most folks doing very often is unfolding a large USGS map and laying it down on the (for me at least often wet) ground in order to do that sort of long sight line azimuth shots to triangulate. In fact, even with an 8-1/2 x 11 subset, I can often find features to sight on. I just almost never do it (my personal outdoor experience is more typically on established trails, but even when not ...).

The other issue with sighting on relatively far-away objects, where I live at least, is that so often I'm in trees, or the fog/cloud level is low so that visibility is often not that great. Still have to navigate somehow.

Rats, the above could be taken to suggest that I'm looking for an argument, and I'm not. The point is certainly correct, just for me personally, it's also typically not relevant. Another case I guess of "each to their own" !