Why do people still buy paper maps? I am a proponent of having a collection of "real" USGS maps. Luckily I bought most before they privatized and started charging high prices.

1) paper and print quality- the paper and print quality (at least on the maps I own) are superior to what I can do myself.

2) cost- if you really do an analysis of paper, ink, investment in printers, etc, printing them yourself is far from "free".

3) permanant record- I write trip notes on the back of the maps, draw route paths while I am out and scribble all sorts of useful notes. I am not inclined to throw out my USGS maps, whereas I usually throw out any map I print myself from my TOPO software.

I use both my own prints from TOPO and the hard copy USGS maps. I will take my own poorly printed maps for surrounding areas and take the actual USGS map for the areas I spend most my time. I do mostly off-trail exploring. I certainly see if you do long-mileage trail trips the USGS maps are not as appropriate.

When I wrote my guidebook to the Wind Rivers, I was able to look at route lines drawn on the maps and notes on the back of maps that I had written in the early 1970's. No way would I have remembered such details if I did not have these maps as records. Some of my USGS maps are 40 years old and still going!

I cut off the white margins and tape the edges with invisible Scotch tape. On some older maps I have had to also Scotch tape the fold seams.

Call me retro, old fashioned, or whatever, I LOVE MY USGS MAPS!!