I've been using my compass a bit more lately.

One of the ways I use it is after getting a heading with my GPS I use the compass to follow it. The compass in my GPS is not a real compass, and it points all over the place when I'm hiking in the forest here. It finally dawned on me that a real compass stays pretty true and isn't burning up any batteries keeping a screen lit.

Using my compass that way helps me get the most out of my GPS batteries by letting them spend their energy recording my track.

I also use my compass a lot when I'm bushwhacking creek beds and hollows. I can generally tell pretty fast where I am in a creek bed or hollow (canyon) by eyeballing a couple bends in it and confirming their distance and direction with a map.

When I finally figured out how to use a lensatic compass I was pretty thrilled. I had one for years and really had no clue and just stumbled upon it while playing with it. You can nail down your position pretty darn good with one of those if your standing where you can see some distant feature in the terrain. If you have a topo map you can often do it with only one reference point and a quick look around. If you can eyeball an angle you can fix your location in an instant sometimes.

I generally check my position while I'm resting for a bit, and when I think I've got it nailed down with my map and compass I also cross check it with my GPS to see if I'm right. Every now and then I'm not. I'm never off by much because I'm just not that far away from knowing where I was, but that really doesn't matter because I can only grade myself with a pass or fail. When I fail I spend some time to figure out where I messed up and that always involves my map and compass again wink

Around here, 15 or 20 thousand acres is about as much as you can find to wander around in. If you have some experience you aren't going to get lost no matter how you wander. So a part of the fun for me is to just go wander around for a bit and then figure out exactly where I am using a map and compass.

"You want to go where?"