Brian

THREAD DRIFT ALERT

no I have not worn through a tent floor. BUT I am extremely careful of my tent floors AND they are ALL made of durable material. Like I always take off my crampons before getting into the tent. laugh Of course old sleeping bags had canvas liners in the bottom so your cramons wouldn't cut through. You do sleep in your campons right? It was easier to sleep in them than to have to put them on in the morning. Modern crampons are easier to deploy. smile

However tent floors can leak and a thin floor is more apt to have a pine needle go through it. Imagine setting up a thin floored tent on rock. The next time you used it, it would leak.

In the old days a ground cloth was made of canvas. It let moisture go through into the ground (and the other way), instead of trapping water under your tent like a footprint can.

If you use a plastic garbage bag over your pack, it will leak around the shoulders and back because the bag can't cover that area well if you're wearing the pack.
Jim