Exactly! wink I've also got a couple electronic altimeters...a Brunton Sherpa weather station (small, light, and feature packed) and a built in baro chip in one of my ham radio walkie talkies. I find the old school Thommen much easier to work with. No batteries and a simple turn of the bezel sets baro pressure, just like aircraft. Plus, you can watch the needle at camp for weather pressure fronts rolling in.
I also like an altimeter when hiking rolling hills in thick forest like the Ozarks. There really isn't much to take a bearing on, but an altimeter will get you close. Just another tool in the bag and a great geek toy! grin
Ebay is a good place to find Thommens. Picked up the Brunton off Amazon for a really good price.

Gershon, have you discovered "high speed" thumb compasses yet? They are used in competitive orienteering and are night/day different than standard compasses. Mine is a "Moscow" and holds its bearing while running. Ringtail is our local orienteering expert...maybe he'll drop by for some orienteering wisdom.