I've mentioned quite a few times that when I backpack I like to go off trail and wander. I've found some pretty cool stuff by following my nose. More than once I've stood in the forest and looked around and thought, "If I were hunting here it'd be best to stand up there and take my shot over there", and then I walk over there and see a arrowhead. It's kind of eerie when that happens.

Once, when I was about 22 years old, I was hiking along a river bank with a buddy and it was hot and he was whining about not have any beer and I said something like, "Well there's probably a cooler full floating against those boulders there and when we find it I'll have one with you". Well, you guessed it, we got there and there it was. It still had ice in it too. Someone must've flipped a canoe upstream and floated down past it and decided not to try and find it, but there is was, floating between two big boulders and no one was anywhere around. We were both honestly amazed, but the guy I was with thought I was some kind of wizard. (I didn't try too hard to convince him otherwise wink )

I've known, and been with, others that have had this sort of thing happen too. I'm fine with chocking them up to coincidence, but I'm curious if any others here have a story about things you've encountered in an unexpected or strange way while wandering about.

Bigfoot sightings would, of course, fit in with this thread too laugh

"You want to go where?"