Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By TomD
Proves my point-light, warm, cheap-pick two.

Although to the credit of kelty, REI, MEC and a few others, there are a few midrange lighter weight down bags which offer at least some sort of middle ground. it wasn't that long ago it seemed to me that it was either something in the price, weight and quality of the WM bags (which is very good) or really really heavy and bulky. Yes, those kelty and REI bags are not as light as a WM bag, but they are not *that* heavy either. It used to be a lot more difficult to get a lighter weight bag.

I agree. The technology is getting better and prices are either stable or actually less. Example, I have a Marmot Alba (-10F) made in 1992, original price, $400. Just got it used and hard to believe, the owner had the original tag for it. In today's dollars, that would be about $613 as of 2010. That bag is 650 down and just a microfiber shell. A Marmot Col Membrain, rated to -20F, with a breatheable, waterproof shell, 850 down lists for $639, so for an extra $26 in adjusted dollars, a better bag. The Lithium, rated only to 0F is $479. In real dollars, I saved about $3-400 by buying my bag used, depending on what you compare it to.