"Because of the new strategic alliance with AllTrails, the current products and services offered on topo.com will be discontinued. For the next 30 days, topo.com will continue to be functional. After that time, users will be redirected to alltrails.com."

If you have map credits, or maps you've bought there, you have 30 days to download them, so don't dawdle.

In my own humble opinion National Geographic should have put more effort into their "TOPO!" software. For me, this means yet another expensive software tool I've invested in will soon be obsolete. While they don't say it the email I received and quoted above, I've been in this game long enough to know that TOPO! is now unofficially a dead product.

Luckily, I've been transitioning to Garmin's BaseCamp and opensource maps, and for exactly this reason. I knew when they started "Topo.com" that the TOPO! software was on it's way out. But the truth is that site never lived up to it's potential or the hype NG promoted it with and they should have done a lot more with both products.

NG and AllTrails are now going to "monetize" all that info on trails that users have graciously submitted for free to them. I understand the need to make money, but there are many ways to do that without leaving your current user base high and dry.

I think I'll submit any trail info I have to an opensource aggregator instead.

"You want to go where?"