ndsol, thanks for the response... I agree, and know from experience, that if my camera is not within reach, I also will forgo taking pictures. That is why I am hoping to find a solution to be able to carry the body with standard lens and an additional zoom in a way that they would be accessible while I'm hiking. The majority of my pictures are taken in pre-planned scenarios, so the rest of my equipment can be packed away until I know I need it. It sounds like I am carrying a whole photo store when I say it like that, but generally it is only 1 additional lens (EF 16-35mm f/2.8), a tripod, a flash, 2 extra batteries, and an intervalometer. All that weighs only a few pounds, and doesn't really take up much space since I use spare socks/shirts to pack them and not something like a pelican case, plus the tripod is strapped to the outside. I'm sure you know that there are always going to be those shots that could potentially be amazing if only you had stopped to take them. Up to now, I haven't always stopped to take them because that entails removing my pack, digging out the equipment, getting the shot, then packing up, and readjusting everything to be comfortable again. The whole process can end up taking 10 or 15 minutes for just a few pictures. That makes planning mileages and timelines very difficult since there is no way to know how much time will be spent unpacking and repacking during the day. Anywho, I ramble... I do like the idea of trading in 2 lenses for one that covers most of the standard ranges, ie: an 18-200mm lens, and I have been looking at getting one. Thanks again for the help!