First let me say I am pretty new to backpacking, I went on a BP trip with a church group as a kid and remember how awesome it was. Since then I have spent many nights outside(Army)and also car camped and a few BP trips with the kids with questionable gear.

My sons ages 8 and 16 have enjoyed our recent jaunts into the woods in our area for over-nighters. So now I am trying to gear us up for a 2-3 night trip into the UNF (Uwharrie) in central NC.

Our current set up is: my Army external frame rucksack, a REI youth size external frame pack for my 16yr old, and basic school type backpack for the 8yr old. The youngest pretty much just packs his sleeping bag and some extra clothes. We got some lightweight sleeping bags for Christmas.I have a MSR rocket stove and a cook set on the way from campmor.

As for a tent we have been using a cheap dome tent but it's wayyy too heavy. We do have a lightweight youth dome tent (@3.5lbs) that could fit the kids and I could fit in another one OK. Otherwise it seems like we will have to spend alot on a 3 person relatively lightweight tent. Suggestions?

As for packs, what would you suggest? I could pass the youth size REI pack down to the 8yr old and get something for my 16yr old son. I also feel like the Army rucksack is way heavy, but it's functional, so I could use it for a trip or two.

Suggestions for a reasonably priced pack for my 16yr old son? Thanks for any advice!