A pika is in the HARE family. IT ISN'T A RODENT. phat's photo shows an animal with large serious digging feet and claws that are marmot like. A Pika has dainty feet and a flatter face. At least thats how it looks to me googling photos. We have Pikas here in the lava behind my house at 4,000 feet in the Cascades. They are brown. One day I asked my wife why she had cut all of the "pinks" flowers and laid them neatly in a row to dry in the garden. Thats when we discovered that we had Pikas - its typical behavior for them.

Unfortunately human excrement may be richer in proteins than other available foods. Like a dog smelling house cat doodoo (yummy fishy smell and far more protein than dog kibble), animals don't care what they eat, only its nutrition value.

The only solution is for us to clean out our systems before going camping and then only eat food that you can forage locally so it won't be worthwhile for animals to dig up what you leave behind.
Jim
REASON FOR EDIT - ZOOLOGICAL CORRECTIONS

Edited by Jimshaw (01/23/12 03:10 PM)