Interesting topic, I tend to agree with you Glenn. But I'm by no means an expert and I could be wrong. I'm 55, started backpacking as a kid in the scouts. Back then in the 70s I carried an old canvas pack and gear I found at Army Navy stores, we lashed huge car sleeping bags under our packs that bopped up and down for miles. And we had no waist belts. I used a tube tent, the kids with money bought Smiley tarps. I remember walking for miles with all the weight on my shoulders. Argh. Fast forward to 2012. My pack a North Face Terra 65L internal frame (with the frame removed). It was too heavy so I opened it up and removed the huge plastic "board" frame with the aluminum stays from inside it. That shaved almost 2lbs. And if someone has been packing at all you learn to pack a bag. Gone is my Sierra cup that used to clang along my belt, might explain why I never saw critters? I carry either a 3 liter camelback blatter or I filter into a sports bottle or Nagleen as I go. I use an MSR whisperlite stove, a Kadyden filter, Thermarest NeoAire pad (sweet). And my tent is a 2.6lb fully enclosed Tarp Tent. I learned years ago not to wear Levis. I wear synthetic convertible pants. I layer my clothes use lightweight fleece. I'm also a gear geek, I have a glow tube, small fishing rod w/reel. Small tripod stool. And I carry a decent first aid kit. Nothing worse then a bad head or stomach ache out there. There's nothing wrong with traditional. But the new ligher gear is just too cool. Sure I can't afford a $500 REI tech jacket, so a $2 used fleece from good will works for me. Have a nice day.