Originally Posted By ditchbanker
So my wife and I want to get into backpacking. I have a decent amount of workable equipment because I used to spend a lot of time camping off a dual-sport motorcycle (FYI, I always stayed on legal motor vehicle trails, or, more commonly, dirt roads).

Anyway, my wife went out and got me a pack that weigh 5 lbs. It seems to have a lot of features and a 60 L capacity, which is good. The weight is a bit high, but I'm not really in a position to ditch it since it was a gift, and functional.

Almost entirely packed, I came in at about 25 lbs. Not bad for a new guy, but I'd sure be a lot happier at 20. Problem is I'm kind of cheap. I have workable gear that I accumulated over several years on my bike and I don't want to spend a ton more. I don't want to drop several hundred on a new sleeping bag when my synthetic 20* bag is useable. I use a home made alcohol stove for my cooking, so I can't save much weight above that. I've got a fairly light, very comfy big agnus sleeping pad that I could only get meager savings off of, and at a loss of comfort. My tent, though... I've got a Sierra 2 person (ahem, 1, in my opinion) tent that weighs several pounds. Haven't weighed it yet, because I'm a little afraid I'll hate it more.

I was looking at the rain fly and an old 2 man tent footprint I had, and thought I could save a couple pounds by loosing the tent body and poles. I could be adequately protected from a lot of weather and I could carry bug wipes to keep the insects away.

My concern is based on an irrational fear. I am terrified of snakes. Hate 'em. All of 'em. I know that MOST of my imagined hikes would be above the level where the snakes would be a *reasonable* fear, but I'm not *reasonable* when it comes to snakes.

Is there anything anyone who tarp camps in areas where dangerous snakes are a real concern can suggest to keep me tolerant of the concept?

I don't have an irrational fear of snakes, but I do spiders smile

Rather than try to "train your brain" to something you aren't that comfy with, just stick with something enclosed for now. Later on if you find you're comfortable without, change then.

It doesn't matter if the fear is "irrational" - if it's going to keep you from sleeping well, and keep you from having fun, well, don't do that - you'll enjoy the sport more.

If your tent is a "Sierra" (Sierra designs) it may not be that bad in any case, depending on the model. My solo six moon designs tarp tent weighs 23 grams (errr.. no that would be 23 ounces), and it's enclosed - no snakes can get in, You could also get out the sewing machine, there's a few good designs out there and adding some lightweight toille, or mosquito net to the sides of your tarp would keep bugs and other critters out when staked down, etc.

25 pounds (is that everything without food water and fuel) is not too horribly bad - you're better than most people who start in the big box stores. I generally start out in the 10 to 15 pound base range depnding what I am doing, and that's with a pack that weighs a little over a pound. (and that usually means that I'm starting down the trail for a weekender with food and a litre of water with the pack weighing somewhere in the 13 to 20 pound range...)

Weigh your tent and see... compare it to the stuff sold at six moon designs or tarptent.com - while your tent may weigh more, it may not weigh *enough* more to go replace it right away smile

Another possibility for you, depending on your comfort with one, might be a hammock.

Edited by phat (01/14/12 09:23 PM)
Browse my pictures