Originally Posted By BradMT
Guys, if I may ask, what do you view as the pro's/con's of an alcohol stove?

PS Jim, I'm the one that posted your MSR link at 24hour.

Thanks!

Pros:

0) CHEAP - you can make a very effective stove out of a discarded cat food can or a few pop cans, with some ingenuity.

1) Lightest (by max weight carried) option I have for me, with my cooking style (one boil in morning and one boil in evening)
for me for up to 5 person days, short of esbit tabs, which the smell bothers me and are hard to get here

2) really easy to find fuel, once you know the right stuff to get, as many gas stations have it. I can be assured to find methyl hydrate at almost any gas station in canada, not so with the other stuff - so nice if you are resupplying in the middle of nowhere

3) smallest package for tea in a daybag, with fuel in a pocket - I do this even in the dead of winter here.

4) fuel isn't incredibly volatile, so won't "flare up" easily. but still have to be cautious.

6) Quiet - no hissing and roaring. You can hear the world around you while your stove is on.

Cons:

1) Fuel is the least "btu" dense compared to canister or white gas. You have to carry more to boil the same amount of water.

2) stove a little more wind sensitive than others (but this can be mitigated well with experience

3) if the fuel and stove are very cold, it can be hard to light and keep the stove going well - only matters in really cold temps.

4) almost invisible flame can be a bit treacherous when it's bright out.

5) Tricky to simmer, best suited to boil it up style, rather than a lot of real "cooking" - this does not mean it is impossible to simmer, by no means. it's just a lot easier to
"cook" on the other style of stoves which have better flame control.

---------------------------------------------------------

Really, I use one for the majority of my solo trips.

I will resort to a canister stove in normal weather if I am
out for more than 5 person-days (as by that time the fuel difference makes it heavier, for me, at least at the max weight).

Winter daytrips I take it, with a small bottle of fuel kept warm in my pocket, to make tea. Winter camping I'm melting snow for water so usually take white gas, as it works no matter how cold it is and is more energy dense than just about anything
else I can take..

Browse my pictures