Ok, I am seriously behind in my trip reports here. life got in the way..

I did some cool stuff this last season, West Coast Trail, (again), and the Kerry Way in Ireland... However, something interesting happened this year..

After doing the Kerry way, my wife decided she would actually like to try going into the backcountry with me... for the first time in 22 years of marriage..

So.. while a simple trip for me, I planned this one pretty careful. We only had time for an overnighter. So, leaving late from Edmonton, with some encouragement from my wife that she was up for something good, and didn't mind arriving late at camp, we did the long drive to the Camp parker trailhead. the goal was simple, 14 KM up and over nigel pass from camp parker, to four point campground before dark, have dinner and a long sleep, then up and back out.

The weather cooperated and we have a very nice evening walk up to Nigel Pass..

My better half had a bit of a bonking episode, the altitude and sun affecting her more than she's used to. After a stop right before Nigel pass for water and a snack, everything was good and we trundled over the spectacular nigel pass, crossed the Brazeau river and continued down though the pass to Four Point Campground.

I had mooched a Black Diamond SkyLight tent from a friend for cheap, as I don't really own anything much for a two person tent (I'm solo a lot) pretty decent setup - a palace for two by my standards, although those my not be the same standards as my companion for the evening.

After setting up the tent in the fading light, we ressurected a fire in one of the firepits, I got out the snow peak, and made dinner of a couple of quickly grabbed natural high meals and some soup. She liked the soup, was sort of ok with the Natural High dinner (I didn't have time to put together anything better beforehand). liked the hot chocolate.

After we had finished dinner, I noticed a solo hiker walk in in the dark to a neighboring picnic table - trailrunners, poles, and a golite pack.. I immediately thought.. "aha, someone who knows what they are doing who got in late" - I walked over and offered to share the fire. This turned out to be Pony Express, thu hiking the GDT. We ended up chatting by the table for an hour or two while I shared my stove (I figured he could save his fuel) and my booze and chocolate. The better half surprsingly enjoyed the hiking nerd talk, and we had a very nice evening, turning in late.

In the morning we got up very late, slacked in camp, and made
breakfast - Surprisingly, my better half rather enjoyed my mountain house eggs and idahoan potatoes ziploc baggie breakfast..

We left very late (almost noon!) and headed back up the pass and back out. We got absolutely blasted by wind in the pass but the trip was still quite enjoyable by both of us.

At least I wasn't told she'd never do it again - which for me has always been the highest standard I've ever been able to aspire to with anything involving the girls I date grin

full set of pics are at http://pics.obuse.com/Nigel2011
Browse my pictures