Originally Posted By Hikin Jim

Just speaking about me, boil times aren't my primary consideration, particularly with alcohol stoves. I'm more concerned with weight. With HEET, I have to carry about 1/3 more fuel to do the same amount of cooking. Does that matter? It depends on the individual.

Assuming you are talking about the 100% methanol heet, this doesn't jive with my experience using both. Indeed, ethanol will technically have more BTU's, however, practically, I've not seen a measurable difference in the field in how much fuel is necessary - I've been able to measure *slightly* different boil times on my bench but they are faaaar less than variablility in the field (water temperature etc). with methanol versus ethanol. I certainly do not have to carry 1/3 less fuel with ethanol. I carry the same amount.

Now, as I use the penny stove which is at least partially pressurized, for this sort of stove, I do find that methanol is easier to light in the cold - as it boils 10 degrees lower than ethanol - so I find meths is a bit easier in the cold.

On the other hand, everclear is a bit more multi-use.

Browse my pictures