Been there, done that. I remember a night compass course at Fort Carson in the late 60's. The military did not do a good job of teaching LAND navigation then. I have no reason to believe they do a better job now.

I have taught orienteering to elementary school students and they can learn to read maps before they learn geometry. You are better able to get the participation of the adult leaders if you emphasize map reading and NOT compass.

At orienteering competitions we are encouraged to set up a string course. Kids without reading or math skills can still read a map.

The next step is a course that can be completed without using a compass, but using a compass will shorten several legs.

I completed, but was not competitive, a half dozen advanced orienteering course one year without a compass.

Vector navigation should be one of the tools in your navigation tool box, but it is not the most used technique.

I think the easiest and most effective training is to set up a memory navigation course. At each control there is a map with the next control marked. You can set a compass bearing and measure the distance, but you also need to visualize the terrain. You then need to travel to that control with only your memory. Make it a timed event and it gets interesting.

Edited by ringtail (01/10/12 11:44 AM)