I have to agree with dryer that this is not the best way to achieve a smokeless cook stove, or to generate micro-electricity. Rocket stoves make more sense. For electrical generation also, a rocket stove would allow more electricity to go to something more useful than powering a fan. I do think there can be sympatico between the third world and backpackers, but I think we have more to learn from them. At its best, this is honest research with good intentions, and it could lead to something even though the power and efficiency and enery return on energy invested are not promising. At its worst, this is yet another example of how not to 'help' people in the third world, like sending old sneaker and shirts by air freight and undermining local economies. Just my opinion.

I like the micro-steam engine idea. You can get comparable efficiencies very crudely, like 1-10%, and get the recharge done faster with more power and less weight. 15-25% efficiencies are achievable with more sophisticated micro-steam engines, especially where cold water or snow is available. Solar makes sense for micro-power, especially in hot sunny climates. Manual power also makes sense, perhaps the most sense, for quick recharge of small batteries. The thermal efficiencies are better also, and the opportunities for combined heat and power in cold climates. Using arms only you should be able to recharge 4 AAs by 25% in 15 minutes without steaming up your tent too much. Hold some device between your toes, and crank away.