Being willing to dehydrate simple things makes it easy enough.

Rice: I like jasmine, basmati, or long grain brown or white - I get it at the store, cook it, and dehydrate it til crispy hard. It becomes a just add water (just to cover, no more water than that) food item. Tastes sooooooooooooo much better than Minute Paper - er, Rice.

Meat: Hamburger gravel can be easy to do. There's lots of recipe type websites to tell you how to make it. Fry up ground round, or other low fat meat, until cooked through. Drain and rinse in water to further get rid of fat. Dehydrate until gravel. This is easy to rehydrate tho it takes patience - faster to add cold water to a nalgene with the gravel and let it soak for the afternoon before dinner, to deal with crunchy residuals. Precooked shelf stable bacon can be heated easy. Small summer sausages or salami travels well.

Cheese: hard cheese packs well. Some people wrap in vinegar soaked cheesecloth then in plastic for preventing mold over long weeks on the trail. Cheese sticks is the short cut - now that you can get cheddar and jack that way, it's how I do it, unless I really crave a good smokey gouda. Cheese is one of my favorite trail foods, very good energy food, in subfreezing temps I like to eat an ounce or two before bed.

Instant potatoes: dress 'em up any way you like. I like to add cheese, baco bits, oil, butter, chives, dill, and/or spices to pep it up.

Canned soups: hearty canned soups dehydrate ok. I like lentils and black bean soups. Or use a dry soup mix and add dehydrated veggies/meat/meat substitute as you wish.

Cheese powder: can be bought from Packit Gourmet, bought in bulk from WinCo foods (possibly other bargain warehouse type stores), stolen from mac n cheese boxes and repurposed, or made at home - recipes for cheese sauce powder at trailcooking.com. Can be added to the potatoes or rice, or pasta.

Cous cous or dehydrated pasta: Couscous can be gotten in bulk or in boxes depending on the store - just add hot water and you have a pasta dish, breakfast, or whatever you like - if you add ingredients to jazz it up. Pasta from teh grocery store can be cooked and dehydrated to make it ready for adding hot water to, like rice.

Nido: full fat powdered milk, for extra calories. I get a can from the ethnic aisle each year for adding to all kinds of things, including beverages. Tastes like milk, unlike fat free powdered milk.

Peanut butter: Justin's packets are showing up at Cost Plus World Market, REI, Packit Gourmet and minimus.biz. Perfect size. Minimus is great for jellies, honey packets, condiments, etc. in packable sizes.

Tuna: packets of tuna in 3 or 6 oz depending on how many people make great lunches. I get seasoned sometimes, or the premade tuna salad.

Chicken: packets or small cans of chicken are great for trail use. You can also get a large can of chicken and dehydrate it - this is the only way to have chicken reconstitute and actually resemble chicken, raw chicken just turns to pulp when rehydrating.

bars: at enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com there are recipes for copies of popular (expensive)trail bars. Excellent resource.

trail mix: I usually grab bags of mix from Trader Joes. Great variety, great food. This is also where I get cheeeeeeeeeeese, unless I want the Tillamook Mini Moos.

dehydrated veggies/fruits: Harmony House, Packit Gourmet, or in the stores, Just Veggies and Just Fruits brand. Or Trader Joes. Or Whole Foods. Or Lassens.

Dehydrate without a dehydrator: an oven propped open with a wooden spoon, set to 200-300 degress depending on what you are dehydrating, left going overnight, can set you up with a season's worth of staples to mix and match. Dehydrate leftovers while you are at it. They may not look the same when you add water but they will probably taste better than expensive freeze dried stuff.

I have also dehydrated a can of mild chili. The process pumps up the spices in it just how I like it. The chili comes back a little less saucy, but good.

http://hikeandbackpack.com